Wednesday, March 27, 2013

Springsteen Fans Accept Tom Morello Replacing Little Steven

Not just anyone can be a fill in. Although bosses attempt it every day at work and sometimes we'd like to locate fill in's to replace our kids. Truth is...in the end you'd end up missing their pork n bean surprises around the springtime BBQ. When musicians become fill in's...instantly I'm reminded of my time with Bon Jovi guitarist Richie Sambora who constantly reminded me, "I'm just happy to be a working musician." These truly are some rough times for musicians, producers and writers. The cost of tickets have forced fans to purchase the DVD instead. Being in a seat rarely comes with the total experience. Unless you count the bone head sitting in front of you dumping his mountain sized beer all over the gorgeous blonde sitting next to him. That's when I whip out the Face Book and begin to document. Being a fill in comes with responsibility. Especially if your name is Tom Morello. Bruce Springsteen had asked him three months ago to join the E Street Band during the Australian leg of their Wrecking Ball Tour. Little Steven's off the fast track filming the tv show Lilyhammer. One show later and Morello doesn't regret taking the job. "It's been great. It's been really an honor being onstage with one of my favorite bands – one of the greatest live bands of all time," he said. "I've been to a lot of Bruce Springsteen shows, but I've never been to four consecutive ones. And every show isn't just a different show – a completely different experience." The tour has been one of Sprinsteen's most ambitious ever: shows stretching to four hours with his biggest E Street lineup ever, Springsteen breaking out mega-rarities like "High Hopes," "Bishop Danced" and "Be True." "Our band plays very differently night to night. It's not a repetition, it's a renewal," Springsteen told reporters of the tour in Australia. "If you're doing it right, that's how it feels." Morello faced a challenge stepping into a band that's been playing together for decades. "I learned about 50 songs in three months for the tour, and every night, 90 minutes til soundcheck, Bruce will text me with seven or eight songs we've never played before," he said with a laugh. "And then during the show, he'll call up songs we've never even discussed – some I've never even heard! "Every night, there's six to eight songs I have literally about a nanosecond to prepare for. But it's fun. Now that I know that's the gig I'm like, 'Lets go!' Make it clear: I'm not asking Bruce to stump me. I would love to play 'Thunder Road.' But it's been a really fun challenge." Van Zandt recently admitted he was hesitant to take time off the road. "It's a little uncomfortable, because I've never missed a show, as long as I've been in the band," he said. "I'm very happy they got Tom Morello, 'cause it helps a great deal to know that Bruce is not there up front on his own. I think Tommy, to some extent, will fulfill that function of interacting with the audience a bit, and interacting with Bruce a little bit." How did Morello learn the songs so quickly? "I'm pretty good at test-taking. I have pretty good guessing skills." Then Morello cut the interview short to head to the hotel lobby. "I actually have to go downstairs to do a thing with Mr. Springsteen right now," he said.

No comments:

Post a Comment