Tuesday, March 12, 2013

Rod Stewart Impresses Critics In New York City

Rod Stewart is one of few Rock Stars that's been with me the entire way. A new age of FM radio opened my eyes. It wasn't about jocks but dropping needles on the front side of an album and something like 30 minutes later you'd hear it scratch across the backside. Stewarts raspy British rock pre-Disco fed through my neighborhood via hooking his tunes up to a microphone attached to a guitar amp. What he laid out was never loud enough. So it became my game to pour energy into the poster filled bedroom walls. Make them speak a language all its own. The Classic Rocker has been accused of selling out on several occasions. I didn't give up on him. It could been his passion for soccer. Totally effed up crazy a** Rock Star hair or the fact that somehow no matter how bad it came across; a Rock Star singing love songs...he just knew how to pump up the vibe just right to get the girls all soft and ready for some serious amounts of wine and everything else attached to getting upstairs before the night gets old. In the 70's he went disco with Do Ya Think I'm Sexy. At the turn of the millennium Stewart was singing Sinatra. This past Friday night in New York City. Rod reignited Rock critics during a private showcasing of his new cd called Time. It's big, its loud and its Rock. Look for it on I Heart Radio beginning May 7. The album marks the first time Stewart has penned new material for release in more than a decade. He credits longtime collaborator Jim Cregan for inspiring that change. “About a year ago, I was sitting at my house in England, and [Cregan] came around and said, ‘Come on, let’s try to write a song,’” Stewart said last October. “And I said, ‘No, I can’t be bothered. Those days are over.’ But we sat down, I started humming a melody and he took it away and sent it back and said, ‘Listen, this is pretty good,’ so I wrote some words for it and ever since then it’s just been flowing like a river.” According to Billboard, the songs Capitol Records previewed on Thursday were an amalgam of Stewart’s past influences, with one cut reminiscent of his 1988 hit ‘Lost in You.’ Another song featured the type of Celtic instrumentation similar to ‘Maggie May,’ while other tracks called to mind some of his later disco leanings. Five of the seven tracks previewed were up-tempo, with two ballads rounding out the set.

No comments:

Post a Comment