Friday, May 31, 2013

Tom Petty's New Wave Of Changes Coming To His Concerts

An old neighborhood friend asks, "Yo...why do you run from Rock concerts?" The natural normal reaction would be, "I hate getting out of the parking lot. I can't stand forking out half the checking account for nose bleeds seats. Love people but can't stand hitting the men's room like a herd of cattle searching for feed." The real answer, "With so many performers laying out their vocals and guitar riffs on VH1, Public Television and other music enforced outlets...the show never changes." Guess who just caught on? Tom Petty is mending his heartbreakers. He learned a valuable lesson at the Bonnaroo Music Festival. Stop playing the same songs at every show. Petty is dropping the juke box and replacing it with deeper classic rock “I was feeling that [our show was getting stale],” Petty recently told Rolling Stone. “We felt kind of obligated to play all the most popular songs, because people pay so much for tickets. But I want to play some of these other songs, rather just get trapped into what people expect.” Instead of all the usual hits, expect Petty to bust out some of his favorite, lesser-known jams. “I’ve written a lot of good songs that weren’t released as singles,” he said, citing ‘Nightwatchman’ and ‘When the Time Comes’ as a couple of the songs that may find their way into the set lists. ‘I’d rather be known for that then for making lots of hits.” In other words, Petty said he’s not onstage to serve as a human jukebox. “I could be a jukebox, but I don’t want to be,” he said. “I just feel like we have more to offer.”

No comments:

Post a Comment