Friday, December 28, 2012

Ozzy Opens His Experiences To Teach The Rules Of Rock

I've run out of hands and feet to keep track of the number of up and coming Broadcaster's vowing to bring change to the Radio Industry only to buckle in defeat because the rules laid decades before my arrival were shaped by total hard asses with ambitious visions. This business is no different than Wal-Mart, Bank of America, Home Depot and Willie Wonka's Chocolate Factory. Nobody wants to be a long term Umpa Lumpa... Educational systems are flooded with eager beavers striking down every tree in the forest without realizing birds and squirrels live in them. Then one day they slowly turn taking note of how incredibly lonely the journey ended up being because inspiration and influence no longer carry weight. Or does it? Those chosen to make marks are realizing every industry's evolutionary involvement in society is unlocking at the foundation. Stepping through the shattered glass is legendary Rocker Ozzy Osbourne who recently told Classic Rock Magazine that he doesn't hold back when warning young hopeful musicians to embrace the first years of their success – before ego and business concerns get in the way. The Black Sabbath frontman wants rising stars to learn from his own experience, saying the years during which he recorded his first albums were the happiest of his career. Ozzy says, "Having a car, flying first class, doing all this exciting stuff – it was a dream come true. The early part of the success is so much fun." “The first two Sabbath albums were great for us because it was so new. Then all of a sudden it becomes deadly serious, because people start telling you what you should and shouldn’t do.” With that added pressure came Ozzy’s infamous reliance on drugs – leading to his dismissal from the band he’d helped form. He remembers: “What happened with me and Black Sabbath was that, in the beginning we all had a purpose. But as it went along that inevitable thing stepped in called ego. “The fact is that success does change you. When you’re hungry, you all have one goal, and that is to get successful. It affected me – I didn’t give a shit. I was full of cocaine and all the rest of the crap I used to do. That stuff makes you talk total horse crap.” Ozzy has fought back since his lowest ebb at the end of the 1970s, culminating in the recording of a new Sabbath album, his first since 1979. And he remains vigilant about his drug problems. “I’m not a bad person getting better, I’m a sick person getting well,” says the singer. “Alcoholism and drug dependency is a killer disease. I went to two rehab places and then I still went out again. And then I stopped again and then I started. “I have accepted I have a problem with drugs and alcohol. That’s a big stepping stone, you know. I’m very lucky that I’m still alive and I’m also very lucky I can still put two words together.” His message to rising stars is: “If you crack the egg, man, enjoy those first few years – because you never recapture them.”

No comments:

Post a Comment