Friday, December 14, 2012

AC/DC, Black Sabbath, Dio, Motley Crue and Rainbow Form A Super Group

I spend 9 to 12 hours a day sitting in a recording studio cranking up "not out" an edge of on-air advertising with a brand of emotion influenced by the beasts that designed Classic Rock. Cut to the bone rawness saturated with crisp volume, attitude and ownership... The best in Rock doesn't force but invites your fingers to tap the repeat button not once but until you're 110% full. In this Twitter age of lean mean get to the point anxiety... here's this week's rip it from the soul update fresh from the pages of Classic Rock Magazine: Former members of AC/DC, Black Sabbath, Dio, Motley Crue and Rainbow have formed a supergroup and will tour Russia in February. The Classic Rock All Stars consists of John Corabi (Motley Crue), Chris Slade (AC/DC), Bobby Rondinelli (Black Sabbath, Rainbow), Geoff Nicholls (Black Sabbath), Craig Goldy (Dio) and Greg Smith (Rainbow, Alice Cooper). It’s a completely different band from the one already using the title, featuring former Iron Butterfly guitarist and singer Mike Pinera along with ex-members of Rare Earth, Sugarloaf and Johnny Rivers’ band. FInd out more. Fleetwood Mac will release a 35th anniversary edition of Rumours at the end of January. The three-CD expanded edition contains the original album, unreleased live recordings and unreleased takes, while the deluxe edition adds disc of outtakes, a documentary DVD and a vinyl disc. Rush are to publish an ibook tying in with the re-release of classic album 2112. It contains previously-unpublished photos, ink art and pencil sketched for the related comic book, remaster preview tracks and three bonus live tracks. Find out more. Black Keys frontman Dan Auerbach admits the band’s last album, El Camino, is not the best work they’ve done. He says: “It isn’t my favourite record. I much prefer Brothers.” [Telegraph] Rising stars The Treatment aim to end their year on a high when they play the Underworld in London tomorrow night. The Cambridge band, hotly-tipped by Classic Rock, are currently on the road with Thin Lizzy, having also toured this year with Kiss and Motley Crue. The band will be supported by Vega, Four Wheel Drive and Curran. In the 2011 UK census 6,242 people listed their religion as “heavy metal” following a campaign spearheaded by Classic Rock’s sister title Metal Hammer. It’s almost three times the number of Scientologists, although much fewer than the 176,632 who declared themselves Jedi. Saxon frontman Biff Byford, who became spokesman for the campaign, said: “Heavy metal is a tribal music and everyone is a member of the tribe. When you click with a big audience it is a religious experience, in a way.” Alter Bridge guitarist Mark Tremonti says the band started work on a new album and world tour for next year. Robert Plant wants to take some time off during 2013, and he’s planning to spend more time in the USA. He explains: “I think I might just chill for a while, to be honest. I’m enjoying life. I’m becoming way more aware and opinionated and stimulated by these new adventures. Everybody says I’m a workaholic, and I just keep going and going. I will do that – but I want to explore more. When I think about how I was writing when I was a kid, when I was 20 or whatever, it was all about travel and journey and stimulus. I’m getting on a bit now, but I have to look at more stuff to be able to write cohesively.” [CBS] Crashdiet will tour the UK in April ahead of more dates in Europe: Apr 23: Newcastle Academy Apr 24: Sheffield Academy Apr 25: Birmingham Academy Apr 26: Nottingham Rock City Apr 27: London Islington Academy Ravi Shankar, who died on Tuesday aged 92, will be given a posthumous lifetime achievement Grammy at the 2013 ceremony on February 10. Recording Academy boss Neil Portnow says: “Just last I week I had the honour to inform him that he would receive it. He was deeply touched and so pleased. We have lost an innovative and exceptional talent, and a true ambassador of international music.” Linkin Park frontman Chester Bennington has recalled a dubious compliment paid to him by Kiss mainman Gene Simmons. Bennington says: “The first time I met him I was like, ‘Whoa, that’s Gene Simmons.’ I went over and introduced myself. He grabs me by the shoulders and says. ‘You are a powerful and talented young man. If we were in prison, I would make love to you.’ I was like, ‘Oh.’” [KROQ] Megadeth frontman Dave Mustaine has had a newly-identified species of tarantula named after him. The spider’s official classification is “Aphonopelma Davemustainei” and the musician reports: “How cool is this? Totally metal!” Body Count will release a new album next year. Ice T reports it will be called Manslaughter. Gunnar Nelson of 90s outfit Nelson recalls his band’s struggle to get radio airplay after the rise of the grunge movement. He says: “during the ‘flannel years,’ as I called them, if you weren’t addicted to heroin, or from Seattle, they simply wouldn’t play you on radio.” [Noisecreep] Def Leppard‘s drum tech says he knows why many fans believe the band are performing to backing tapes. In a video tour of Rick Allen’s kit, below, he says: “One of the reasons people think this band is on track – which they’re not, at all – is that they’re so consistent show to show.” He adds: “I turn a metronome on or off for some songs when they want to be locked into tempo, although they’re very, very good on that.”

No comments:

Post a Comment