Monday, October 15, 2012

Can David Letterman Survive Without Paul Shaffer?

Johnny Carson might not have made it without Ed McMahon. Just as much as Jimmy Fallon would find himself stumbling if the World Famous Roots walked. I never watched Conan for the twelve foot tall redheaded wise cracking cartoon character, I DVR-ed the NBC late night lineup for former Bruce Springsteen drummer Max Weinberg and the enormously funny stunts he'd participate with. While hosting the morning show on 95.1 in Charlotte, NC in 1991...a "Radio" consultant clearly called me a failure until I convinced station managers and owners to hire the elements that make up hardcore 3-D. No show can be a ratings success without a Dick, a Dork and a Deer. So what happens when Paul Shaffer pops his clutch into neutral and retires from The David Letterman Show? Will the wise ass that got his break hoisting weather fronts of maps finally see the light of retirement? Letterman's musical director Paul Shaffer recently told TV Guide Canada that a departure from the show could be a couple years away when his contract expires. "We've been on 30 years so now we've got another two years . . . I'm going to be certainly ready to lie down after that, take a nap," said Shaffer. "But once again, life is nutty – anything can happen. I've been so lucky and blessed to be working this long in show business. And whatever happens now is just gravy to me." Shaffer, who recently hosted Canada's Walk Of Fame awards, noted how his experience on Letterman prepared him for his new gig. "I learn from Letterman every night," he said. "I got a ringside seat, watching still the quickest guy in show business. The one thing I know about him is [he] doesn't like anything to be faked. He doesn’t say you know, 'Let's pretend we’re getting a call.' He hates that. He'll say to the audience, 'I'm getting a fake call now.' I think the audience appreciates that." "I've never had a plan for the future," added Shaffer. "So we'll see what happens."

No comments:

Post a Comment