Tuesday, February 16, 2016

Here Comes Paul Shaffer

There's life after Letterman. After 33 years Paul Shaffer's grateful for getting the opportunity to perform with the world's biggest names in music. Now he's taking the journey into the studio to write and release his own work. Paul Shaffer. David Letterman's former band leader. He's played with the biggest names in Classic Rock. Now he's getting to do it on his own. He's working on album of his own. "I'm working on my own record now for Rhino Records. Richard Gottehrer producing. I'm really excited. Good time music, that's all. Rock and roll music." Shaffer says he regularly speaks to David Letterman and denies rumors that his ex-boss has become a recluse. He says Dave was on hand to present him with an award last fall from the Little Kids Rock charity. The bandleader adds, "We did a little schtick with me in front the audience. He loved it. He's not going away." Shaffer even joked about that Santa-like beard Dave now sports. Paul Shaffer on David Letterman's beard and their absense from TV. "I love that beard, yes, well I need that beard on the top of my head, you know how it is. Both of us certainly miss being in front of an audience, I'll tell you that much." Paul's greatest regret about stepping down along with Letterman is not being able to pay tribute to the rock legends who've died since last summer. On the other hand, he's proud neither he nor Letterman overstayed their welcome. Paul Shaffer on not being able tribute to the just-deceased rock legends on nightly TV. "It's sad that we're losing so many of the greats. We got to play with them all during this period of time. And I'm just thankful I had that opportunity. We had 33 years, we did it longer than anybody ever did it and you can't be greedy."

No comments:

Post a Comment