Wednesday, September 18, 2013

Classic Rock Report: 30 Years Ago In KISS-tory

The paint on my teenage bedroom walls? KISS! Every poster ripped from Teen Beat Magazine to Creem to RollingStone and or anything made available at Eli's record store on 24th street in Billings, Montana. I was in the KISS Army and proud to serve the Rock nation. I didn't get into Radio to play Boston, Foreigner and Bad Company. I wanted the fire and explosions of a KISS concert to rip through those AM Radio speakers. Imagine the shock that bled from my veins when I learned how "uninterested" Radio was in playing music from KISS. I jumped on Radio's two speaker stage in 1979 at KOYN. But have "NEVER" gotten to play a KISS song. I effed up my dreams by walking the way of the wayward wind. The 1980's were all about Adult Kenny G Radio with a pinch of Rod Stewart, Michael Bolton and Bonnie Raitt. The 90's were attacked by Hip Hop and Alternative New Rock. By the time KISS had become cool again... Programmers had long forgotten that I was once a Radio Jock. Thirty years ago today.... Sept. 18, 1983. The unthinkable event in Kiss-story. On MTV. JJ Jackson the host. KISS appeared in public without the paint that made them incredibly famous. Paul Stanley says he wanted to prove something, "Let’s go and be a real band without makeup.’ Simmons says, “We made the best of it, but I was scared stiff.” Turns out Stanley was indeed right, as the Demon happily relates: “‘Lick it Up’ was released and immediately tripled the sales of ‘Creatures of the Night.’ It went platinum and we were soon filling up concert halls again. This was clearly a new lease on life.”

No comments:

Post a Comment